Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Enrollin' with the homies

I enrolled in college today! It's a requirement that all new students to UCO complete FYE (First Year Experience) which I thought was absolutely retarded. I had to pay $25 (but at least I got a free T-shirt that I will wear daily) to sit with 20 transfer students and learn about what I need to do to graduate, what classes transfer, how I apply for financial aid....basically not one thing in the "experience" pertained to me. In fact, when I checked in I was asked, "freshman, sophomore, junior or senior?" Uhhhh....other? I did, however, get to meet with an advisor and enroll before any other student. That's worth it! They shuffled us into a ball room for our information presentation. While waiting for it start I sent one of my best friends, Alicia a text. The following is our exchange:
Me: I'm cruisin' the halls of your Alma Mater as we speak.
Alicia: Yay! Go Bronchos! You should try out for Pom!
The text caused me to laugh out loud and about 40 eyes glared in my direction. It was funny. I found it odd, however, that no one glared at the lady with a giant baby stroller in the front row who kept walking in front of the presenter in order to go get snacks about three different times. Oh, while she left her screaming baby in the stroller. Not. Uh. Propriate. Her baby ruined my experience at First Year Experience.

I would like to briefly get a little off track and talk about my experience at First Year Experience. I have participated in NSI (yay SNU) when I was a Freshman and then had some sort of leadership/peer leader role in NSI my remaining years. It's basically a time where everyone gets all excited, tries to impress people, and be as spastic as they can within the limits of cool. I have learned that the cool quotient differs from college to college. SNU's is pretty low from what I gather. NSI basically feels like the first day of church camp. With that life experience, I am not gonna lie, I was a little apprehensive about FYE today. Chris sent me a text on my way that said, "look for the cool girls and just hang out with them." He was kidding *not really*. I walked into the Nigh Student Center and was flooded with college memories. Not the scholastic type.....more of the make fun of people type. I was almost run over by a girl on a Razor scooter. Yes. Inside. On a razor scooter. Really? Were you in the big of hurry to get to the Chickfila counter that walking just wouldn't cut it?!?!? I would have, literally, pointed and laughed at that girl back in college. Laughed and/or have stuck a stick in her in line wheel. I also saw a handful of girls in skinny jeans or sweats and fur/sweater boots. Really?!?! It was about 70 degrees outside. Again, point and laugh. But, I can say with great pride, I have evolved. I'm not that girl anymore. But really, only because I didn't have anyone that I knew to laugh about it with.

I was a little discouraged because I am going to need A TON more courses than I originally thought due to things not counting and having to take prereq's in order to take my prereqs. Awesome. For example, my ZOO class wouldn't count for Intro to Biology. And so, in order to take Micro or Pathogenic, I need Biology for Majors. Now, at UCO, Trig is a prereq for Physics. Really? The last real math class I had was in 11th grade....Algebra I. Welp. So, I basically took everything I could this first semester and it ended up at 12 hours. Thankfully, I am able to do College Algebra as a FlexEd class online starting next week. After the initial awkwardness of my advisement session, I did get good feedback. She was very positive about what I have decided to do. She did think I was crazy for trying to take all these classes so close together though. Oh well. Here's my schedule:
MWF - 10-10:50 - Inro to Psychology
MWF - 11-11:50 - Chemistry I
M - 1-4:50 - Chemistry Lab
online - Biology for Majors
FlexEd - College Algebra
I did hit the jackpot. I checked OCCC.....no trig for Physics. So that will be Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Whew.

It's crazy how much has changed in just the few (7 but who's counting) years I have been out of college. You can now just add all of your classes online, print your schedule, pay your bill, and view your books...all from the same website. Oh, and this time around my tuition is about 4,000% less than my undergrad. The downside....I get to pay for it this time. Booooo.

It looks like I might have an awesome opportunity to work part-time for a portion of the semester. I am interviewing Friday for a 6 month part-time pharma contract selling Tamiflu. The interview is actually just done on a webcam from my home office. SWEET! No binded copies of my brag book, no referencing page numbers, and no pants. If I get the job, I would start Monday with home study. No travel, a car allowance, cell phone and Internet reimbursement....sounds like a perfect answer to prayer. It's not a ton of money but it's a heck of alot more than $0. So from Jan - April I will have that class schedule and also be working 29 hours. Gheesh. I will keep you posted on that situation.

Check this out! I'm not lying!

3 comments:

  1. Omg--back in the day I would have totally pushed the scooter girl on the floor before I went back to my room to be an alternateen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! You are a brave girl and I bet you are going to do amazing! I have a feeling I will be in your same position in a few years. I HATE my job and will be looking for something different once we are done having babies with will probably require more school, ugh! Good luck with everything. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you Cynthia! You are an inspiration. I hope I NEVER have to go back to school again.

    ReplyDelete