Thursday, October 14, 2010

Kidney Stones Part 1

So it all began on Saturday, October 9th. It was Holland's (my daughter) 3rd birthday party. It was a wonderful event and the whole crew was a little whiped out. We just lounged around the rest of the day. I kept telling Chris that I couldn't get comfortable and that my kidneys hurt. (Really, who says their kidney's hurt). I always have issues with my back but this felt different. I decided to go to bed around 10. I was hurting really bad. I thought if I could just get to bed and fall asleep, it won't hurt in the morning.
Up I awoke at 2am, thinking I was in labor. I debated waking up Chris because I felt terrible....didn't debate long. Woke him up and we had to call my mom to come over and stay at our house so we could go the ER. She gets there pretty quickly and we load up and head to Mercy. All the while I am making strange animal noises. Sadly, I remember looking at the clock and thinking, "thank God it's 2:30am. That way I didn't die on Holland's birthday." It was that bad. Thoughts of "I did not know I was pregnant" entered my brain. Hey....at least it would account for the recent weight gain!
Chris pulls up and I get out of the car. No pain. I felt completely fine. I felt like a total jackass. I just woke up two sleepy poeple for some strange pain that is completely gone. Chris convinced me to go ahead and get checked out since we were already there (he didn't know about the $50 copay). They asked what my pain level is......3, but it was an 11. They take me back, cath me, and send me up to CT. Apparently there a ton of blood in my urine and the scan showed multiple stones. Awesome. They sent me home with an rx for pain meds, a paper strainer, and the warning that the stones will all be trying to come out so be ready to take the pain meds at a moment's notice. If only it were that easy. To Be Continued.

1 comment: