Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Boy....is my face red!

I just got home from taking my second to last Physics Exam of the semester at OCCC. In case you were wondering what the kids call it these days, it's O-Trip. Good to know. So I use this cute little Vera Bradley bag as my O-Trip school bag. It's the perfect size and has great pockets. I keep my cell phone in the front snap pocket. Upon entering the building tonight, I saw a few of my fellow classmates sitting on a big couch in front of the Physical Science Center. So I sat down and we started quizzing each other. I remember hearing the tone my phone makes when I get an email and that reminded me I needed to put it on vibrate....so I did. I went in and took my test. Piece a cake, in and out in about 20 minutes. I leave the class and open the pocket that ALWAYS holds my phone. Not there. I empty the contents of the bag on a table. No phone to be found. Fabulous. What's an iPhone 4 running these days?

I walk down to the safety and security office to see if a fellow, benevolent O-Trip student has turned it in. After all, I have this adorable personalized case on it. Here's how the conversation went:
Me: Did anyone turn in a phone within the last 30 minutes?
Security Guard #1: No. Do you remember where you had it last?
Me: Yeah, on the couch in front of the Physical Science Center. It's an iphone and it has my name on it.
Security Gaurd #2: Unfortunately, cases come right off and doesn't make it more likely to be turned in. (duh) If we catch the person who took it, do you want to press charges?
Me: uuuuhhhhhh.....I just want my phone back.
SG #2: We can't tell you to press charges or not but if you don't, what's keeping that scum bag from stealing someone else's phone.
Me: Oh good point. Then yes, press charges!
SG #1: You said it was about 30 minutes ago, right?
Me: Right
SG #1: You didn't leave it on the couch.
Me: What, are you sure?
SG #1: Yep. (Looking at a monitor on his desk) I see you sitting there with your friends. I see you get up. There was no phone left behind.
Me: Oh wow. That's cool you guys can see all that.
SG #2: What's the number?
Me: It's on vibrate but it's (give my number).
SG #2: If it's turned off, it definitely was stolen. My experience has been that phone stealers immediately turn the phone completely off. (Dials phone) (Vibrating begins in my bag).
Me: (Talking very loudly so SG #1 and SG #2 cannot hear vibrating in my bag....pretty sure it was up against a pin or something). Wow, have you guys seen Minority Report? That's what I feel like you guys have going on in here with all your monitors and what not. Like COGS are telling you who took people's stuff. This is so cool. Oh wow, is that like Doppler Radar. Do you think we will get severe weather tonight?
SG #1: It should miss.....
Me: Well thanks guys, here's my email if someone turns in the phone. Have a good night.

I go to the bathroom in order to search my bag.....figured I was safe from the cameras. Needless to say, I found it in a pocket I didn't even know existed. It was like an accidental pocket. Ugh. Good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment